Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bookmarks Are Important!

Eek, falling behind again! I'll have February's artist of the month up tomorrow and a book review on Friday, but for now, here's a little something that just popped into my head.

I have problems when it comes to finishing certain books. I just can't stand coming to the last page and having to leave the story and the characters behind! If I've enjoyed the book that much, I'm tempted to start reading it again and never ever ever let it go. Remember going over to a friend's house as a kid and having so much fun there that you didn't want to leave when your parents came to take you home? That's exactly the feeling I'm talking about.

It's kind of dorky, but it helps if I leave a bookmark in those books, right at the first page and waiting for me to pick it up again. That way, setting it aside for another doesn't feel so final, and it's like a promise that I'll come back soon. Which is why I end up reading at least three books at once, skipping back and forth between ones I haven't read yet and those favorites that I can't leave on the shelf for too long. Those favorites?

  • The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - it seemed only fitting that the permanent bookmark in this one be the joker from a trick deck of playing cards.
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - my go-to read when I need a pick-me-up! It's an index card with a list of adjectives marking this one (random, I know)
  • Opera Macabre by Michelle Rodriguez - this one has a marker promoting her next novel.
  • The Opera Ghost Unraveled by Michelle Rodriguez - I've got an old piece of paper with the lyrics to one of my favorite songs with this one...yep, I write down an awful lot of lyrics...
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - all right, so this one is definitely the newbie on the list, but I loved it that much. This one has a guest check from the restaurant I work at, complete with step-by-step instructions on how to time in!
Something about those bookmarks...it's like leaving something at a friend's house on purpose so you have an excuse to go back there whenever you want. It makes me feel better about finishing them. Of course, it only works with books I own...the ones I have to keep borrowing from the library are another story...

Your pal,
Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, talk to me! Don't be shy!