Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Reads and Re-reads

It was Oscar Wilde who said that if you can't enjoy reading a book over and over, then there's no point in reading at all. If you ask me, that says it all. I was inspired by a recent post on a blog I follow to share a few of my favorite re-reads with you. They're the books I turn to when I'm in a bad mood and could use cheering up, when I'm bored, or just because I still love them that much.

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

 Honestly, are you really that surprised? I didn't even know this was a book until I found it in a bin at the store about...oh, four years ago. Best three dollars I ever spent, and the rest is history. Since then, I've read it at least two dozen times, and no, I'm not exaggerating. People at my house groan and ask "Again?" when they see it in my hand. Yes, I say, again, and again and again until it falls apart, at which point I'll go out and buy a new copy! It's one of my favorite books, for crying out loud!












Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

 This was the book that began my hero worship of dear Aunt Jane. I've read all six of her novels, but this one is still nearest and dearest to me. Yes, I know what you're thinking, "But ALL of the Austenians say Darcy is the best of her heroes!" First off, no, not all of them do (but that's another conversation). Second of all, there's a darn good reason why this is still Ms. Austen's most popular novel, and a popular novel period. If not for Lizzy Bennet, Bridget Jones wouldn't exist. If not for this book, we wouldn't have Colin Firth in that miniseries. All that aside, this is probably my go-to read for when I'm blue, and it's still my perfect cure for all of life's unpleasantness. No, really, it is!








The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

Oh, Lord, what in the world can I possibly say about this that the rest of the world hasn't said already? I'll give you the solid proof as to where I stand with this series: I've replaced Sorcerer's Stone twice, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix once each, the only thing holding Prisoner of Azkaban together is wood glue and packing tape, and the only reason Chamber of Secrets is still intact (for the most part) is that I had that scare when I thought I'd lost it in a move and it resurfaced about eight months later. I know I'm not the only one who feels like this, but this series was such an integral part of my childhood, and so long as I had at least one of the books with me, I was set to weather anything.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

 Ah, another perfectly good book that the movie ruined... There were no two ways about it with this one, it was love at first read. I got it out of the library at least five times before I FINALLY got my own copy, and that one is almost falling apart. I've heard complaints that it was too long-winded and there were too many allusions to too many books thrown in, but I love it just the way it is. There's something about these characters that feels like they'll step right off the page at any moment (though that might be because in the book, they really do). Now if I could only get my hands on the last entry in the series!







Opera Macabre by Michelle Rodriguez

 Despite my not having known this book so long, I've still read it a rather dizzying amount of times already in the past few months. I can't help myself! I'm addicted to Ms. Rodriguez's amazing style and her engaging characters, and I'm held hostage to that emotional roller coaster her work always inspires. And all right, I'll admit it...she writes a lovely love scene...plenty of sizzle but never trashy! I hear she's got a new book coming out in a few short weeks, but this one's always going to have a spot in my heart.










What are your favorite re-reads?

Your pal,
Angels

1 comment:

  1. The Phantom of the Opera. Absolutely! My copy is falling apart I have read it that many times.

    Jane Eyre is another firm favourite of mine to revisit occasionally :)

    ReplyDelete

Come on, talk to me! Don't be shy!