Thursday, October 27, 2011

Who Did It Better? (the Sweeney Todd edition)

This is what happens when I get bored...And as you can guess, I plan on doing more of these when I get bored in the future.

So I was poking around on Youtube and it occurred to me that I might check out some of the legendary George Hearn videos of the original Sweeney Todd. I naturally settled on "Epiphany," my favorite song from the show. As I was watching, I couldn't help but compare it to the Johnny Depp version (the man is my idol!). In trying to pick a favorite, I can't make any headway. All right, honestly, the poking around was done months ago before my computer went on the fritz and somehow stuck on mute, but these are still great to watch even if you can't hear them.

George Hearn:
I mean, DAMN! This guy has really lost it! It would be scary as hell sitting in that audience when he starts screaming and pointing like that! I actually found myself leaning away from my computer screen when he got to "Not one man, no, nor ten men, nor a hundred can assuage me." Yipe! *hides under couch* The stage version is definitely more operatic than the movie...in fact, it's just plain epic. Heck, if I was a dude and I could sing like that, you'd darn well know it! The power of that last note blew my mind! Bravo!

Johnny Depp:
I mean, DAMN! Heads are gonna roll here! I love how he's stalking the streets and no one knows what kind of psycho is in their midst! He's not in the least operatic, but that snarly, armed-and-dangerous growl gives me the heebie jeebies. I get chills just thinking about "I want you bleeders." If Mr. T doesn't slit anyone's throat any time soon, he's definitely going to rip someone's out. How can a man be so creepy yet so mesmerizing at the same time? In my humble opinion, here's another prime example of actors really going beyond singing a song and just...well...acting it. You can whine about how the professionals sing it better, but you just can't dis the performance the actors can throw down.

So what do you think? Whose side are you on?

Your pal,
Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, talk to me! Don't be shy!