Monday, August 6, 2012

Who Did It Better? ("Shameless")

I realized it's been awhile since I did one of these, and listening to this song earlier today put me in the mood for it. As it happens, I'm really stuck on this decision!

Billy Joel original


How do I want to describe this? It's a brilliant song, and the execution is definitely in Billy Joel's style. What really attaches me to this version are the fond memories I have associated with it...such fond memories. There's more a sense of spirit present, especially when it rips loose towards the end. Am I the only one who feels like the whole thing is about to take off and fly? Probably the only negative thing I have to say about it is how the tempo slows down periodically and it seems to stomp its way through back to when it picks up again. No, wait, that is the only negative thing I have to say about it.



Garth Brooks cover


First off, those lyrics aren't accurate, but it's a pain in the neck to find a Garth Brooks song on YouTube that's actually sung by Garth Brooks. Too many covers! Anyway, it's a known fact that you can recognize a Garth song by the steel guitar. *wink* I'm quite attached to that, really. And the noted electric guitarist Chris Leuzinger, of course. But that's not the only thing I love about this version. I love the simplicity and power of it. There's just a piano, a couple guitars, some drums, and a background vocalist, and that's it. I think it's all in Garth's delivery that really hits me. He's clearly feeling it, and that in turn makes me feel it. The only negative thing I have to say about this one is that dratted echo! I can tune it out, but I still don't care for it.

Here's another one of those where I can't possibly choose a favorite, simply because I love both contenders so darn much. But then I stop and think, and I notice there's only one version I put on repeat, and that's Garth...so we have a winner after all!

What do you think?

Your pal,
Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, talk to me! Don't be shy!