Sunday, July 29, 2012

Reviews From an HBN (Eden's Root - Rachel Fisher)

I'll get to reviewing some movies sooner or later. It's just so much easier to give an opinion on a book!

Though to be honest, I don't know if that counts in this case...

The year is 2033 and the world hovers on the edge of explosion as unexplained crop deaths lead to severe global food shortages. In the United States, the Sickness is taking lives slowly, creeping its way into every family. Fi Kelly has already faced the Sickness in her own family, toughening her beyond her years. But a shocking confession from her dying father will push her toughness to its absolute limits. Saddled with an impossible secret and the mission of saving her little sister, Fi sets out to transform herself into the warrior that she must become to survive the coming collapse. Along the way, she will discover that evil can be accidental and that love can be intentional.

MY RATING: 2 STARS

And my review:

I hate giving up on a book, but when I see that I haven't gone anywhere near this one for over a month and didn't plan on going near it again anytime soon I realize that I've already given up on it.

This doesn't reflect on Ms. Fisher's writing abilities (though I did think the pace was a little stop-and-go), but more on my own general dislike for dystopia and end-of-civilization stories. They just scare the crap out of me. I thought I'd give this one a shot, but...the idea that through persistent experimentation, the earth's food supply has been permanently contaminated really messed with my head. See? That's what these kind of stories do to me. They get my imagination going in overdrive and I start getting paranoid.

All right, I have to be honest, I did have a few minor problems with the writing. Things would roll along pretty slowly and I'd start getting bored, then they would take off so fast it all felt unrealistic. I can't give a very comprehensive review because I couldn't finish it, but between the theme and the inconsistent flow I wasn't tempted to, either.


This would be a good one for sci-fi lovers, which I'm not much of, and readers who like their books served up with a slice of terror. I mean, you can't tell me that this kind of scenario doesn't frighten you half to death! It could be that this is a very good book, but it wasn't the book for me.


Your humble book nerd,
Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, talk to me! Don't be shy!