Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Reviews From an HBN (If You Ask Me - Betty White)

See? What did I tell you?

It-girl Betty White delivers a hilarious, slyly profound take on love, life, celebrity, and everything in between.

Drawing from a lifetime of lessons learned, seven-time Emmy winner Betty White's wit and wisdom take center stage as she tackles topics like friendship, romantic love, aging, television, fans, love for animals, and the brave new world of celebrity. If You Ask Me mixes her thoughtful observations with humorous stories from a seven- decade career in Hollywood. Longtime fans and new fans alike will relish Betty's candid take on everything from her rumored crush on Robert Redford (true) to her beauty regimen ("I have no idea what color my hair is and I never intend to find out") to the Facebook campaign that helped persuade her to host Saturday Night Live despite her having declined the hosting job three times already.

Featuring all-new material, with a focus on the past fifteen years of her life, If You Ask Me is funny, sweet, and to the point-just like Betty White.


MY RATING: 4 STARS

My review as posted on GoodReads:

Mom happened to bring this one home with her one day, and I couldn't wait to read it. I honestly expected it to take longer to read, but the short chapters and Betty's easy, conversational tone made it go much faster. This is probably the next best thing to actually sitting down and talking to Betty White (ah, if only!). She tells her stories in her typical fashion: funny, direct, and sweet as can be. Her personality just oozes off the pages! I think my favorite bits were her talking about her various exploits with animals, such as beluga whales, several of her own pets, a gorilla named Koko, and a room full of stuffed animals. And her Robert Redford anecdote was adorable. And anytime she talked about late night TV, from hosting Saturday Night Live to guest appearances on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (and I don't think I've missed any of those!). Actually, I don't think I really had a favorite part...it was all charming and cheery and rather heartwarming...like Betty!


It's so hard to write decent reviews for nonfiction! This really is worth reading, though. It's not a memoir, more like a conversation between friends. And I loved it!

Your humble book nerd,
Angels 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, talk to me! Don't be shy!